Thursday 20 June 2024

New Oswestry group for aspiring writers

Dear Blogger

Message forwarded by Ingrid Knowles Oswestry.net - sorry, no flyer came with this message.

Hello creative writers in Oswestry. 
This is from Dora Bona, a writer who's  lived in Oswestry for almost nine years (a transplant from Australia). 
Please contact Dora directly if you're interested in joining the group. 
Phone: 07835 815 434


For quite some time I've wanted to do 
something proactive about encouraging, motivating and supporting other
local writers. I do realise that the original Oswestry Writers' Group
fell apart during COVID, and many of my current members are former attendees of that group.
 
I met Dave Andrews just after the launch of his second novel, and we
have become very good friends. With his encouragement, and meeting a
bunch of people at a forum that he conducted at the Oswestry library, I
was somehow 'voted in' to start a new group.
 
In a nutshell: My aim is to create a fun, motivational, inspirational
place to come once a fortnight to spark creativity, do some writing
exercises and discuss publication options etc. I created a Facebook
page, Oswestry Writers, where those of us who are not technophobes can
communicate. As well as face-to-face group meetings each Tuesday
fortnight, I wanted to add the facility to give and receive feedback on
works in progress via email, chat etc. This leaves the physical meetings
with plenty of space to create new things. We have met twice already and
the turnout was very encouraging. Online, more and more people are
paying attention, but I'd love to ramp this up.
 
I have attached a flyer which I've put in the library and Booka. Dave
has steered me in the direction of a press release in the local
newspapers, which I have written and plan to send off today.
 
Cheers and kind regards
 
Dora Bona