Tuesday 20 February 2024

Road works - Abysmal communications

Dear Blogger - to everyone who responded with feedback about the Brownhill road closure/not closed/closed.

It really was the most abysmal example of lack of communication from all directions, starting with the chap who arrived with the cones who said he did not know anything, it was just his job to bring the cones!

Then the chaps who put the cones out and looked ready to work on the water leak.

Then someone, a boss? arrived and started collecting cones as permission had not been given to close the road.  They all went away.

Eventually, little men in yellow jackets arrived at 4pm (I have lost count of which day) and put out barriers, not traffic lights.  They told me they were going to close the road and work overnight - "but I have B&B arring at 9pm" I wailed.  Oh that is OK, if they come from the A5 that would not be a problem.

YES IT WAS!

My B&B obeyed the rules when he saw the road from Shotatton was completely closed with barriers, so his sat nav took him back to come through Little Ness.  Then he was blocked by a barrier right across the Brownhill, and phoned me.

I ran down to the little yellow men who said, yes, just move the barriers, no problem.  So I ran up the road and moved the cones and heavy metal sign so my B&B could get through to Brownhill House - wish I had left them across the road instead of putting the signs back.

The last straw was to have a card put through the door asking for feedback to Severn Trent - with no telephone number or email address!!

It seems no-one except the houses directly affected by the leak and the roadworks were told anything by Shropshire Council, Severn Trent, the Parish Council or even facebook.

The only person who could tell people what was happening was me, and my  Mailing List because I could see the little yellow men and make the effort to talk to them so I could report back to you.

Thank you all for your help and appreciation.

Yoland