Thursday 5 September 2024

Our `stuff` what will the next generation do with it?

Dear Blogger

An extract from Shropshire Family History Society `Thoughts from the Chair`, which gives something for we oldies to think about i.e. What is to be done with all my records of the 4 years of the Charter celebrations from 2004 to 2008?!

Perhaps the problem is that none of us, in the 3 generations have enough time to go through everything.

"Now we have the task of clearing Mum's house - somewhere
she had lived for 64 years. In doing so, my siblings and I have
come across items, paperwork and memorabilia of which
the origin is unknown or only to be guessed at, including
a teddy who looks like he was very much loved! He sat
on her couch for many years but I had never thought to ask
to whom he belonged. I am fairly sure it wasn't Mum's and

I think I might know whose it was, although it will only ever
be a guess. But how do you get rid of such a previously loved

item?! It has certainly brought home to to me how important
it is to make sure any 'old' documents, memorabilia and photographs are labelled in

some way so that, when others are having to sort through my 'stuff', including all my
family history information, they know to whom they belonged or related to, who are in
the photographs, and why I kept them all".