Thursday 16 July 2015

More of Beth`s adventures in Senegal

Forwarded by her Mum, Claire Vuckovic - who must be very very proud of their daughter.

A very overdue blog post

I'd like to start by apologising. At the end of my last blog I said 'I promise to keep you all updated on March very soon.' It's now July. July isn't soon even by my standards, but anyway, that's that, and I hope you'll forgive me after I fill you in on my exciting adventures!

March was busy, but very fun! When our Desk Officer, Dave rang us to say he was in Joal it hit us that we'd reached a very big mile stone in our Project Trust journey. Back on our training course we were told about this visit, and it all sounded wonderful, but so irrelevant considering it was going to mark our half way point. But we'd arrived, danced, spoken some Wolof, blinked a few times and he was here already! As it is Dave's first year in charge of Senegal, it was fun to show him around our house, our projects and Joal! Being so involved in our projects, but working in a country where nothing happens quickly, we were starting to feel like we hadn't yet achieved all that much, so it was great to hear from Dave that from what he had seen, we were doing a fab job here, and to simply keep doing what we had been doing. I think that the problem is that at the same time as we are trying to teach and to help the people of our project, they have also taught us many things, without really meaning to. So, amongst that, it is hard to understand what difference I could be making, and how Joal could be benefitting from having us here. Although Dave tried to convince me that this was not the main purpose of his visit, we were also treated to a few restaurant meals with him, which, after eating Thiebudienne everyday (lovely just repetitive) was a very appreciated treat!

Another reminder of how far into the year we were was making the trip up to Dakar to renew our visas, despite feeling like we only did them a few weeks ago, on Christmas Eve! Even though we gained a 6 month visa, which was an achievement, we also had, between the 6 of us, quite a bit of money stolen, which was not quite as big a joy! It was nothing scary, just a good conman, but it serves as a good wake up call. A realisation that even though we can navigate Dakar, hold a conversation in Wolof and haggle a good price for a taxi, we are not immune to scams, as is anyone else!

On the 27th of March, we were invited to Toubab Dialaw by our friend Connie, American Peace Corps volunteer and founder of our girls group, FAS JOM. After having been stationed in Joal for a few years, and then returning to America, she is now back out here doing wonderful work near Yenne, where we spent our first 3 weeks in Senegal! Charlotte, Rosie (from Ziguinchor) and I were lucky enough to spend the 'beach and teach weekend' doing just that, with 2 more peace corps volunteers who have been in Senegal for a 3 years, and who fairly easily put my Wolof to shame!

ho fairly easily put my Wolof to shame!

My parents at le monument de la renaissance – Dakar

I really do apologise, I'm jumping through all this at quite a pace, but the next bit is very exciting.. It was for me anyway! Our parents arrived! It was so good to see them again, if not a little strange. For me, it's my parents who usually take control on holidays, sorting out where to go and what to do around a new area. This time however, they were arriving in a country where they didn't know the language or how things work. Charlotte and I realised how much we'd learnt since being here. We know what costs what, the best material markets and how to sort transport for our two families, but we don't know how to be tourists! We found it difficult not to want to find the cheapest meals and spend half an hour searching for taxis for the lowest possible price! Even in a culture so unfamiliar, I was really impressed by the way my family adapted to the Senegalese ways – Dad being ready to get in and jump

My wonderful family and I at the famous pink lake, Senegal 

out of a taxi when the driver changed the price, my brother picked up Wolof surprisingly quickly over our stay in Dakar, Joal and Saly, managing to haggle an absolute bargain in the market, and Mum totally pulled off the traditional Boubou! My real family meeting my Senegalese family was amazing. It was funny to see how they interacted, but brilliant how well they all got on. My next blog post will be written by my Mum. I thought that it was probably more interesting to hear a xbout the visit from someone who is new to the country, the smells and the driving! The holiday was fantastic, giving us the opportunity to catch up on what was happening at home and to see the sights of Senegal that we hadn't yet had the time nor the funds to see! Lac Rose (the pink lake) was definitely my favourite visit – somewhere I'd wanted to go since we arrived! The salt levels mean that you can float in it any way you want to!

The next few months were spent concentrating on daily life. Teaching, learning Wolof, meeting up with the girls from Kaolack and using any spare day to explore Senegal even more. Life here is supposed to be slow paced, but somehow, our days just got busier and busier, although I have no complaints about that!

I really will post another blog soon! See you all in a month!

B xxx


--   Yoland Brown  Brownhill House B&B & Garden, Ruyton XI Towns nr. Shrewsbury SY4 1LR  Tel:  01939 261 121      Fax:  01939 260 626  brownhill@eleventowns.co.uk  www.eleventowns.co.uk www.eleventowns.org uk  www.eleventowns.com  ShACC - Shropshire Alternative Car Club - www.ShACC-uk.org  MAILING LIST  for Ruyton XI Towns area  Yo`s blog:  http://Yo-emails.blogspot.co.uk