Wednesday 18 December 2013

Virus attacks

Message from Colin Case.

My inbox is absolutely FULL of emails with a Zip File attached containing a Virus.
I guess yours is too - there are millions doing the rounds.
The latest is from efax but there are many others.

I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for many months, but it was not warning me that I had received "infected" attachments (though I am sure it would have stopped me if I was daft enough to try and open one)
Also, my wife's PC has been running progressively more slowly. Investigation indicated hard disk and network activity that was higher than expected.
I thought it was Microsoft Security Essentials, so just to check I changed back to Avast and removed MSE.
During the new installation it likes to do a scan - this found two or three virus indications - one of which made her PC a repository for BitTorrent access - so other people were potentially sharing her music etc. It seems they came from an old on-line game called MasterMind. MSE had not detected or prevented these threats.

So I have changed all our PCs to Avast - free and apparently more reliable than MSE. I am sure the other free "defences" such as AVG might be just as effective and of course there are "bought" anti-virus programmes that may be as good or better. But I am worried about MSE.

If you are going to use Avast or AVG make sure you get them from the Manufacturer or from sources on their own web sites - www.avast.com or www.avg.com

Anyway, hope it helps - the next job is to change the 14 laptops at the Broadplace back! - should only take a month.

--
Colin Case
www.ruytonxitowns.org.uk
Tel: +44 1939 260628
Mobile: +44 7860 904006
Fax: +44 872 115 8730

--   Yoland Brown  Brownhill House B&B, Ruyton XI Towns, nr. Shrewsbury SY4 1LR  ShACC - Shropshire Alternative Car Club  www.eleventowns.co.uk  www.eleventowns.com  www.ShACC-uk.org  Tel:  01939 261 121       Fax:  01939 260626