Sunday 29 March 2020

Always look on the bright side of life

Dear Blogger

A lovely idea from Lydia Bardsley

A "good things memory jar" - I write down good things from my day on scraps of paper and put them in a jar, and if I'm feeling bad I take some out to re-read and it instantly cheers me up (generally I do it for a year and read them again in January). Could be anything, a nice phone call or video chat with someone, something that made me laugh, seeing the flowers bloom in the garden, or a nice dinner, wherever. 

I also highly recommend Duolingo, I've been using it for years - I'm finally making some progress on the Japanese!

A certain 19th century Vicar of Preece used to ask his 9 daughters and one son

"What good have you done today"

I think they ask couples going for marriage guidance

"What are the GOOD bits of your relationship

The Brownhill Spring - once upon a time the occupants of the cottages opposite Brownhill House had to go all the way down to this spring, dried up for many years, to fetch their water.  It was later pumped up to our house via the pipe you can see.  Nowadays we have running water from our taps and soap to wash our hands.

We are so lucky.